Saturday, April 8, 2017

Permanent Affects of Chemo Therapy


Pain in the XXXX

One of the permanent affects of the Chemo Therapy is neuropathy of the extremities. In the past I have described it as a "fuzzy" feeling in my finger tips. I have also been noticing it slightly in the bottom of my feet. The fuzzy feeling is affecting my fine motor skills that require manual dexterity. I notice my printing is now looking like my handwriting. For those of you unfamiliar with my writing, I have printed ever since they stopped giving me a grade in handwriting. I barely squeaked out Cs throughout grade school. My printing has become somewhat distinct as it has evolved into a certain style. It's current legibility is comparable to my 4 year old grandson's writing.

It has not detrimentally affected any other manual function. Typing on the keyboard is a little strange. The tactile feel is not quite there, and I have trouble using a track pad. This will be a permanent result of chemo and one Dr. has recommended vitamin B12 as a possible aide in lessening the affect. Time will also diminish the neuropathy, but to what extent is unknown.

Overall it is a small price to pay. It is also a constant reminder of the cancer and it's possible comeback. I'm currently reading a book by Phillip Yancy, Where is God When it Hurts. The first section is on the value of pain, and how it is a warning system. It also goes into how pain enhances pleasure. Interesting concepts.

Posted by Wada View

No comments:

Post a Comment